Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Why we homeschool....

First, I know it is not for everyone and that is okay!

We are all the stewards for our children. We make the choice that is right for our family and one day, Dave, as the head of our family will answer to God for our choices and decisions with regards to our children, their education, and general upbringing. We prayed and prayed then prayed some more. Right now, we feel that God wants us to homeschool.

Second, it is hard!

We are not homeschooling because it is cheaper or easier. Homeschooling is flexible, but that being said, I still have the responsiblity to teach my kids everything they need to know. That takes time, we can sleep in, start school later, take time off for a vacation. But, that means we may have work to finish over the summer or when the neighborhood kids are riding bikes. I have spent countless hours this summer developing a full year curriculum and buying everything needed to bring it to fruition. But, I get to choose the best teaching method for each child. I have the ability to slow down, repeat, or move forward as needed.

Third, kids today grow up so fast!

We want our kids to have the laid back easy going childhood that we had. They don't need hours of homework. We don't want them to face pressures prematurely and before we have provided them a firm foundation. We belive this takes a long time. Our children won't be faced with 8 hours away from home when they are 6 but, when we feel they are ready.

I could list a hundred more reasons. But, I read a great article this morning that perfectly sums up all our reasons: Being a Homeschool Mom I encourage you to read it and then spend some time praying over your child as they begin the school year, at home or down the street.

1 comment:

  1. HI Kelly,

    Looking forward to reading your blog! I am glad I've kept a blog; it really helps to remember things from everyday life.

    ReplyDelete